A Level subjects accepted for general university entry purposes.
You can check which A Levels we accept for general entry by checking our list of approved subjects.?For many degrees we will expect you to have achieved certain grades in specific subjects.
We do not typically count subjects that contain a high proportion of common material (such as biology and human biology) separately.
- Accounting / Management Accounting / Principles of Accounts
- Ancient History
- Ancient History and Literature
- Applied Art and?Design?1
- Applied Business
- Art and Design (all strands: Art, Craft and Design; Fine Art; Graphic Communication; Textile Design; Three-Dimensional Design; Photography: Lens-based and light-based media; Critical and Contextual Studies)
- Biblical Hebrew?
- Business Studies / Business?
- Chemistry / Chemistry (Salters)
- Citizenship Studies?3
- Classical Civilisation
- Classical History and Civilisation
- Classical Studies
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science / Computing
- Constitutional Law
- Critical Thinking
- Design and Technology / Technology and Design (all strands: Product Design (3D), Systems and Control Technology, Product Design (Textiles), Food Technology)
- Design and Textiles
- Digital Technology
- Drama and Theatre Studies?
- Economic and Political Studies
- Economic and Public Affairs
- Economic Change and Society
- Economic Geography
- Economic History / (British) Economic and Social History
- Economics and?Business 4
- Electronics / Electronic Systems
- Elements of Engineering Design
- Engineering Drawing (and Design) / Technical Drawing
- Engineering Graphics (Applied)
- Engineering Science
- English (and Communication)?
- English Language and Literature / Language and Literature in English
- English Language
- English Literature / Literature in English
- Environmental Science
- Environmental Studies
- Environmental Technology?
- Film Studies
- Food Studies
- Geography / Human Geography / Physical Geography
- Geometrical and Building (Mechanical) Drawing
- Global Perspectives and Research
- Government and Politics
- Graphic(al) Communication
- Greek (Ancient or Modern) / Classical Greek
- Greek Language / Literature with Greek History
- Greek (Literature) and Classical Civilisation
- Greek Literature (in Translation)
- Health and Social Care / Applied Health and Social Care
- Hebrew (Modern)?
- History (and Appreciation) of Art / Art with Art History
- Home Economics
- Horticultural Science
- Human Biology?5
- Industrial Studies
- Information Communication Technology (ICT)
- Information Technology
- Islamic Studies
- Latin (Language) with Roman History
- Latin (Literature) and Classical Civilisation
- Life and Health Sciences (Single and Double Award)
- Marine Science
- Mathematics: Applied/and Statistics
- Mathematics: Mechanics
- Mathematics: Pure / with Mechanics / and Statistics / with Statistics
- Mathematics: Pure and Applied
- Mathematics: Statistics
- Further Mathematics
- Further Mathematics: Pure and Applied/Pure with Mechanics
- Media Studies / Media
- Moving Image Arts1
- Music / Music (Theoretical)
- Music Technology
- Nutrition and Food Science
- Performance Studies
- Physical Education
- Physical Science6
- Physics B: Advancing Physics / Physics in Context
- Physics and Mathematics
- Professional Business Services7
- Psychology / Psychology A / Psychology B?
- Public Affairs
- Religious Studies
- Science (Double)
- Science (Studies)
- Science in Society
- Science, Technology and Society
- Social (and Environmental) Biology
- Software Systems and Development?
- Sport and?Physical Education
- Sports Science and the Active Leisure Industry8
- Statistics/Applied Statistics
- Technical Drawing/Graphics
- Technical Design and Graphic Communication
- Technological Studies/Technology
- Theatre Studies
- Thinking Skills?
- Theology (Christian)
- Use of Mathematics9
- Welsh (First Language) / Welsh (Second Language)?
- World Development
1 Approved for entry to Art and?Design degrees only (excluding MA Fine Art)
2 Not in combination with Human Biology
3?Not in combination with either Law or Government and?Politics
4 Not in combination with either Economics or Business Studies
5?Not in combination with Biology
6 Not in combination with either Chemistry or Physics?
7 Not in combination with Business Studies
8 Not approved for general University entry but may be considered for Applied Sport Science or Sport and Recreation Management only
9 Not in lieu of or alongside A Level Mathematics
- Applied ICT
- Applied Science?
- Communication and?Culture
- Creative Writing?
- General Studies?
- Journalism in the Media and Communications Industry?
- Leisure Studies?
- Media: Communication and Production
- Performing Arts
- Travel and Tourism
If you need advice on the acceptability of any subject for entry to a particular degree, or on subjects sharing common material, please contact the relevant admissions office.
If a subject is not showing on the list it may still be accepted for entry to certain degrees. We have a process of reviewing and approving subjects for entry;?however, new subjects?may still be subject to formal approval.
You should contact the relevant admissions office to check whether your subject will be accepted.